Is cover for an adapted vehicle expensive?


It is always better to use a specialist provider as they have the understanding that adaptations for ease of use are different to performance enhancing modifications. Not all insurers understand this and we at Ability Drive do, ensuring you have a more competitive premium. In addition, it means you will have a policy more tailored to you than most general motor policies.



Are there cheap options for insuring an adapted vehicle?


We ensure that we keep our pricing as competitive as is possible. There are other providers out there that may offer lower premiums. The key thing is to ensure that they offer the same level as protection as we do. With bespoke cover tailored to your needs that would not be covered under a standard policy.



How do the adaptations affect my any claim I make?


We understand that the adaptations may change the overall value of your vehicle. This will be taken into account in the event of a claim, allowing a vehicle that perhaps under normal circumstances would be deemed too expensive to repair, may end up being repairable. The adaptations themselves will also be covered.



What happens if my car is stolen and I have a wheelchair or other mobility aids within the vehicle? Is there any cover?


Cover is automatically included for up to £750 towards your personal contents including any mobility aids that may be within the vehicle.



My car has been stolen, do I get a courtesy car?


An additional policy can be purchased to provide a courtesy vehicle for 21/28 days.



Can my carer drive my vehicle?


Additional drivers can be added to the policy subject to underwriting criteria.



Will the policy include driving other people’s cars?


Cover is included as long as you have the permission of the vehicle owner. Cover would be restricted to third party only cover.



I need to make a claim, how do I do it?


Contacting us swiftly is extremely important. We have a 24 hour claims line on 0344 322 1553 ready to take your call. Our agents will require your policy number and details of the claim you wish to make.



Do I need to notify the DVLA about my disability or medical condition?


You have to tell the DVLA if you have a driving licence and develop certain disabilities or medical conditions that they deem to possibly affect your ability to drive. You also need to let the DVLA know if a pre-existing disability or medical condition has got worse since you got your licence.